Monday, September 10, 2007

Leggo my Yobo. New retro NES = awsome with sauce

Color me clueless, but I had no idea there were companies making new clones of the old Nintendo and Super Nintendo. Ebay is choked with them. There are NES players by a few different companies and some combo machines that play both NES and SNES. Since I still have my SNES, I opted for a lower priced one by Yobo that just plays the original NES carts.




Overall all it's a pretty incredible little machine. Super lightweight (almost where you think it's junk) and tiny. If you stacked 3 CD jewel cased on top of each other, that's about the size of the Yobo NES. The cartridge is almost bigger than the console. Has AC power, AV cables, and 2 controllers with regular and rapid fire buttons. The controller ports are the same as the original NES, so I'd imagine you can use the old controllers, zapper etc (but I'm not 100% sure on that).

I picked up a few games at the local used game shop and most played flawlessly. The old Tengen carts don't seem to work well, but I got Alien Syndrome to play fine with a little slip of folded paper behind the cartridge to keep it from being loose in the slot. At around $25, it's a quick fix or those favorite oldies that might not be on the Wii virtual console or ever make it.

No comments: