Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Marvel Productions Promotional Art (Part 3): Never was

This final post of art from "Comic Features" issue #33 features cartoons that Marvel Productions pitched, but never got produced.

"ANT MAN" and is looks like Wasp too. Amazing pitch art. Looks like Doug Wildey art to me. Can anyone I.D.?


A couple of amazing "Daredevil and Lightning the Super Dog" pitch pieces. These look like John Romita to me. Can anyone confirm? I've read that this one was almost bought, but fell apart at the last minute.


Iron Man. This looks so amazingly cool. I know the actual shows never live up to these pitch pieces, but this is awesome. Again, this looks like Doug Wildey artwork. If anyone knows for sure, please LMK. 


"THE MONSTRESS". looks like an original creation. And the signature in the bottom right of the first panel sure looks like Doug Wildey. What an amazing artist. I would have put him on any show I was trying to pitch.  


Looks like Marvel was going for a "Howard the Duck" cartoon.


Another never was, "Hulk Hound". Though decades later Ang Lee would use Hulk Poodles in his Hulk movie. 


 
 Something called "Muffy" that looks like a comedy with a yellow transforming VW bug. The robot reminds me a lot of the old Super GoBot, Bug Bite (especially those arms). Wonder is this got dumped because of Transformers?


Another Hulk comedy, "Teen Hulk". I get heavy "Thing Ring, do your thing!" vibes of this. But I think the idea of a Teen Hulk is kind of intriguing as a more serious comic book story. Volatile teen emotions with the danger of a Hulk. Maybe it's been done in the comics all ready?


Last up, something called "The Aliens" Looks like alien super heroes. And is I can decipher they smaller panels correctly, they crash on Earth, hide as part of some sports team, looks like journalist trying to uncover they truth and and alien villain disguised as a human.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the images. If you're a fan of the old Marvel cartoons, I recommend picking up a copy of Comic Features #33. Looks like you can get a copy for $3-5 on eBay. A fun read with some cool artwork.

-Matt
aka Dr. G

2 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

"Something called "Muffy" that looks like a comedy with a yellow transforming VW bug. The robot reminds me a lot of the old Super GoBot, Bug Bite (especially those arms). Wonder is this got dumped because of Transformers?"

Could be, though I also thought of "Turbo Teen" as well (of course this was about a guy who could transform into a car).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haRIsvqvG4

"Another Hulk comedy, "Teen Hulk". I get heavy "Thing Ring, do your thing!" vibes of this. But I think the idea of a Teen Hulk is kind of intriguing as a more serious comic book story. Volatile teen emotions with the danger of a Hulk. Maybe it's been done in the comics all ready?"

Since this was the 80's, I highly doubt it would be any different from what constitutes teenage hi-jinks (Recall the Teen Wolf cartoon mostly stayed pretty clean there).

"Last up, something called "The Aliens" Looks like alien super heroes. And is I can decipher they smaller panels correctly, they crash on Earth, hide as part of some sports team, looks like journalist trying to uncover they truth and and alien villain disguised as a human."

Shades of "Sym-Bionic Titan" right there!

Unknown said...

Matt. I would be very interested to read more about the proposed Howard the Duck cartoon. Was there any other pictures or words about it in the article?